Drywall sheet (GPB) – is a multi-component material used for interior decoration, which is made of gypsum, glued on each side with a thick and strong cardboard. This material can also be called dry plaster or gypsum panels. Gypsum plasterboard is actively used in capital construction, repair work, as well as in restoration of buildings.
Today, high-quality and reliable building materials can be purchased at an affordable price in good stores.
But it is important to know what to pay special attention to when choosing. To understand the question, learn about the main types of this material, its properties and characteristics. Then you can choose the best option.
Drywall – how does it happen?
- Fireproof drywall, its composition includes special components that increase the resistance of the material to fire. Fireproof drywall is used for cladding premises where there is a risk of fire situations. This material is able to withstand direct exposure to flames for twenty minutes. Typically, fire-resistant drywall lined gas pipeline, as well as finish the surface of attics.
- Next view – ceiling. It is used to install suspended ceilings and walls in rooms with dry air. The thickness of each panel is 9.5 mm and perfectly retains its high quality in low humidity.
- The arched version of drywall is flexible and lightweight, it is perfect for finishing uneven parts, as it does not form any breaks, splits or cracks in the places of folds.
- Drywall board is used for wall decoration, the thickness of the panels is 12.5 mm.
- Moisture-resistant and fire-resistant drywall combines the best properties of fire-resistant and moisture-resistant options. This type of drywall is perfect for finishing all living spaces without exception.
- Waterproof drywall is mainly used for finishing rooms with high humidity. The material has a remarkable ability to withstand long exposure to moisture and steam. For finishing bathrooms, kitchens, swimming pools, this type of drywall is ideal. But it should be noted that for ideal preservation of moisture resistance panels should be treated with special materials that provide waterproofing.Respectful manufacturers, as a rule, add to the composition of special silicone granules and special substances that block the appearance of fungi and mold on the sheets.Moisture-resistant drywall combines the best properties of fire-resistant and moisture-resistant options. This type of gypsum plasterboard is excellent for finishing all residential premises without exception.
Want to use drywall – wall decoration, which will not be difficult. Many home craftsmen do not always imagine how to properly arrange this structure.Let’s consider in detail how to make the process of installing drywall with your own hands during the repair in the house.
Technology of work with drywall
The whole process of finishing walls with drywall can be divided into 5 steps:
Step one – preparation of all necessary. Drywall installation in Toronto
The first thing to do is to understand what material is suitable for wall decoration in a particular case – there are many types of drywall. There are basic parameters by which you can distinguish this material:
- thickness – the section of the boards varies from 6 to 16 mm, for walls used drywall in 12.5 mm;
- moisture resistance – in this case, the choice will depend entirely on the type of room. If the walls will be finished in the bathroom, experts advise to take as a basis only moisture-resistant material.
In addition to drywall, you will need to work:
- wall profiles and rails;
- straight hanging;
- self-tapping screws;
- primer coat;
- puttying – it is desirable to buy two types: starting and finishing.
Now let’s talk about the tools that are needed to work with drywall:
- drill and perforator;
- mounting knife;
- iron scissors;
- construction leveling;
- dart and set of spatulas;
- roller and set of paint nets for grout.
Once everything is ready, you can safely proceed to the next stage.
Step Two – Markup. Drywall installation in Ontario.
To get a flat surface, you can’t do without a markup. You should act in the following way:
- Determine where the guiding profile will be located and report the corresponding line on the ceiling, using a leveler and a pencil. The distance from the wall should not be less than 4 cm. If you plan to install insulation, the distance is increased by its thickness. For accurate marking, you can use a paint cord, but this method is applicable only if the corners of the wall, which is planned to be covered with drywall flat;
- using a plumb line, draw a line on the floor strictly parallel to the ceiling markings;
- on the wall it is necessary to mark the location of the racks, which will be located at a distance of 40-60 cm from each other, with a deviation of 10 cm from the corner;
- it is necessary to mark the lines on the wall, which will determine the location of straight hangers – they are located in chess order at a distance of 50 cm from each other.
This scheme is valid for applying the markings on all walls, which will be aligned with the drywall.
Step three is how to assemble the frame. Drywall repair in Toronto.
The step-by-step instructions below will help you assemble the profile structure correctly:
- cut profiles into elements of the required length;
- with the help of dowel nails in line on the ceiling and floor to attach the guide profiles, fastening step 25 cm;
- then fasten the hangers to the walls, to which subsequently screwed wall profiles, inserting them into the guides. To do this, use self-tapping screws – “seeds”. Elements are leveled;
- that the wall profiles are rigid, between them mounted jumpers in a chessy order, which are cut from the wall elements in half a meter increments.
Tip: So that the PS were in one plane, and the wall turned out to be flat, from corner to corner pull the cords at the top and bottom. The intermediate risers are aligned on them.
If the walls are decorated in a private, wooden house, then the preliminary walls are treated with antiseptics to protect the walls from fungus and rot.
According to this principle, all the walls of the room in which the repair is made.
Step four – the installation of drywall panels
The next step will be wall cladding with drywall in Toronto, for this purpose, pre-cutting the material, taking into account the peculiarities of the surface by size.
It is easy to cut drywall:
- mark several points on the sheet, which are subsequently connected by a line;
- attach a rule to the line;
- with a mounting knife, cut the upper layer of cardboard along the rule;
- gently fold the sheet along the line of the cut.
Finishing with drywall surfaces is very simple – the plates are attached to the screws to the frame. But at the same time you should consider the following:
- Plates of drywall should be installed so that the edges are connected exactly in the middle of the profile;
- the pitch of the screws is 25 cm;
- so that the screws do not interfere with the finish, the flat should be drowned in the material by 0.5 mm.
Tip: If the walls are flat, the material slabs can be mounted directly on the wall by screwing with special dowels in the form of an “umbrella”.
Step Five – drywall decoration
This can be considered the final step in wall decoration with drywall, the process is carried out in the following way:
– Sew the joints of gypsum plasterboard boards at an angle of 45 degrees, using a construction knife;
– load the surface with 2 layers;
– glue reinforced tape to all joints;
– now you should apply a base putty or plaster to the joints. It is better to do this with a thin trowel, gently but firmly knocking the material into the gaps;
-· The surface is leveled with a wide spatula;
– after drying, the seams should be skinned and coated with a paintbrush;
– now it is time to cover all surfaces with the starting material – gypsum putty. The step-by-step algorithm of applying putty composition, we will consider in the next publication;
– when applying the first layer of putty, the perforated elements should be glued to the outer corners so that they remain intact under mechanical influences;
– once the surface has dried out well, it is better to use a mesh with mesh 120. Grinding is carried out in a circular motion, which removes all irregularities;
– the walls are cleaned of dust and re-packed;
– if the walls are wallpapered or have decorative plaster, the work stops at this stage. When painting the surface, it is necessary to apply a polymer-based finishing compound;
– after the finish layer has dried up, it is polished with P 220 mesh to perfect smoothness. In order not to miss any irregularities, the work should be carried out in bright light “under a light bulb”.
At this stage, the processing and preparation of walls for decorative coating is complete.
As can be seen from the above mentioned technology of work with drywall is quite simple, despite the fact that it has certain nuances and difficulties. If you are not sure in your abilities, invite a professional for such work, such are specialists of “Captain Handy” company.
Read our blog!