The condition of the wooden floor, in which it is necessary to repair:
- Squeaking when walking around the room. The cause may be weakened fastening of the finished floor, reel (rough floor) and lag. It is necessary to carefully inspect and correct any deficiencies found.
- Cracks between the floorboards. They occur when the wooden floor dries. Thin cracks can be removed with a filler on the wood. Removal of large gaps will require remoulding the boards.
- Floor deflection, shaking of furniture when walking around the room. The cause may be damage to the lag, a large distance between the lags, laid during construction, too thin boards. This situation requires a serious repair of a wooden floor.
In any case, after elimination of detected defects should be made leveling the floor. These works can be done with different methods and materials.
Repair of a wooden floor. Alignment of wooden floors.
Plywood or OSB board
These materials are well suited for floor leveling. They provide a surface suitable for any flooring.
Before repair of a wooden floor in Toronto it is necessary to level the humidity of plywood with the level of humidity in the apartment. To do this you should slightly wet the surface of the sheets on both sides and keep them in the room for at least two days.
Procedure of work execution when working with plywood or OSB board:
- Installation of beacons at a distance of at least 30-40 cm from each other. The thicker the plywood sheets, the less frequently beacons can be placed. The beacons can be ordinary self-tapping screws screwed into the wooden floor.
- Setting up the lags. Plywood strips up to 5 cm thick can be used as lags. They are mounted with self-tapping screws or glue. In those places where gaps are formed between the lags and the wooden floor, they must be filled with previously prepared thin slices of plywood. The upper surface of the lags should be strictly horizontal and correspond with the level of beacons.
- The surface of the lagoons shall be cleaned from garbage and dust.
- OSB or plywood boards shall be laid on the lags so that their joints are only on the lags. In addition, no more than three sheets shall be connected at one point.
- The boards are fastened with secret self-tapping screws.
- Cracks between the plates and places of attachment should be filled with putty wood.
Repair of a wooden floor in Toronto and Ontario. Putty based on glue.
The putty can be made of a mixture of wood chips and glue. It can be used to eliminate relatively small unevenness of the coating, not more than 1-2 cm at a time.
The procedure of work with puttying:
- A mixture of wood shavings and glue is prepared. To prevent sawdust from taking moisture from the glue too quickly, it is necessary to moisten it slightly before mixing.
- Wooden or plywood laths are nailed to the floor. They must form the required level of surface, i.e. act as beacons.
- The space between the laths is filled with a putty mix. If the layer of 1-2 cm is not enough somewhere, the next one can be applied only after the final hardening of the previous one.
- The upper layer of the putty is controlled by the level and is brought to the end by means of a finishing filler on wood.
This method of repair of a wooden floor justifies itself when repairing with their own hands in houses with small rooms.
Renovation of a wooden floor in Toronto. Self-aligning mixture.
It is a liquid composition that is applied to the leveled surface, which, when frozen, forms a flat and durable coating, suitable for subsequent use under any kind of flooring.
Procedure for work with self-levelling mixture:
- Strengthening of the wooden floor. All staggering boards are fixed with self-tapping screws, the gaps between them are filled with putty or acrylic. The formed surface is polished and dust free. A protective strip is temporarily nailed to the door opening to prevent the mixture from leaking out.
- The surface of the floor is covered with a waterproof primer designed to create better adhesion between the base and the mixture. Instead of primer, you can use a special waterproofing film. The main task of this stage is to prevent water from seeping through the wooden floor.
- Reinforcing mesh is attached to the floor with a construction stapler. Neighboring sheets should be placed with an overlap of 3-5 centimeters.
- The self-leveling mixture is prepared in accordance with the recommendations of the manufacturer.
- The mixture is applied to the floor and carefully distributed evenly with a rubber scraper. There should be no air bubbles on the surface. They can be broken up by a studded roller.
- Mixture should dry according to the manufacturer’s recommendations on the temperature in the apartment.
The level of the wooden floor when laying self-levelling mixture rises quite high, but the ease of use and quality of the resulting surface outweigh this disadvantage. In houses with high ceilings this defect can be ignored at all.
Scrape. Renovation of a wooden floor.
Renovation of a wooden floor can be done by means of cycles. In doing so, the upper worn layer is removed and a flat surface is formed.
The scrape machine generates fine dust which can easily penetrate into the smallest gaps.
Therefore, before renovation the wooden floor in Toronto it is necessary to take care of personal protective equipment (respirator, goggles) and prevent dust from entering the neighboring rooms.
The procedure of work at the alignment by Scrape:
- Nails and screws, fixing boards should be buried at least 3-5 mm deep.
- Start the work from one corner of the room, gradually moving to the diametrically opposite.
- All defects of the floor, left after the first pass, putty in the color of the floor.
- After drying the putty Scrape machine is removed the second layer.
- Difficult to access areas of the floor can be treated by a manual Scrape.
- After the work is done, the dust is vacuumed out and a protective varnish is applied to the obtained surface.
Flag Leveling. Wood flooring repair.
In cases where it is impossible to level the floor with the above mentioned cosmetic methods, it is necessary to correct the position with lags. In a house with wooden floors such repair provides an additional opportunity to revise their condition.
The procedure for performing the work when leveling the floor with lags:
- The structure is dismantled before the flooring.
- There is a cosmetic repair of the floor – cracks and crevices are sealed with cement-sand mortar.
- A waterproofing layer is laid, which prevents the neighbors from flooding in case of leakage. In the country house, this layer will, on the contrary, prevent the penetration of moisture outside the building.
- Selected by the height of the lags are attached to the floor with anchor bolts.
- The upper level of the lags should form a strictly horizontal surface to avoid its subsequent leveling. The control is performed with the help of laser level.
- After mounting the lags, the floor can be insulated with any chosen thermal insulation material.
- Installation of wooden floor from the selected material: board, plywood, OSB, etc. is performed.
Scratches and chips
Procedure of work execution:
- Removal of lacquer scrape up to the wood surface.
- Cosmetic puttying of defects.
- Surface lacquering.
You can use special repair kits to repair of a wooden floor of minor damage.
Small gaps are repaired according to the chipping repair scheme above.
Wide cracks are repaired in the following order:
- Several parquettes are heated with a hair dryer and after softening the mastic are tightened close to each other.
- A chip or a new wooden rivet on the putty is inserted into the resulting wide slit.
- After drying, the place of repair is ciclued and varnished.
Parquetins are wobbly
Individual loose parquetins are attached with small hatless nails to the neighboring ones by driving them along the long sides at an angle of 45.
Rackety dies are strengthened with bamboo inserts:
- At the joints of dies are drilled holes 4-5 mm, they are tightly inserted bamboo rivets.
- In 5-6 days these areas are puttied, polished and varnished.
This is the most frequent reason to repair of a wooden floor. Squeaking occurs due to natural drying or poor placement. To eliminate it, it is necessary to tightly connect the dies of the package with each other.
The procedure for performing the work:
- Checking the condition of spacing wedges, which are located under the skirting boards.
- Pick up the wedges, and if necessary, replace them with new ones.
Repair of swollen wooden floors is only possible if the damage is small and immediately after swelling. If the parquet is swollen throughout the whole area of the room, or if it has been swollen long ago, its replacement is necessary.
The procedure for repairing the inflated wooden floor:
- The bloated area shall be thoroughly heated with a hair dryer until the smell of mastic appears.
Press the area under repair heavy load for a day or two.
Read our blog!