One of the popular ways of original design of a garden plot is vertical gardening in Toronto. This is a new perspective on the creation of green space around the house or dacha. In Europe, this method of gardening has been used for a long time, which is understandable: space in these countries is much smaller, so people want to use literally every inch of land. This method is now gaining popularity, gardeners implement innovative ideas, try unusual ways of expression.
And even today we can say that the garden, which is decorated only horizontally, looks incomplete. Therefore, we recommend you to get acquainted with the different ways of vertical gardening and choose the most suitable for yourself. Consider the basic designs in this article.
Vertical gardening and vertical landscaping.
Functions of vertical gardening:
- creating a hedge or background of plants and flowers;
- separation of the site from the outside environment;
- providing additional protection of the site from the sun, wind, dust, road noise;
- masking of not very beautiful walls and unsightly buildings in the dacha;
- zoning of the space and the allocation of areas with different purposes: for example, you can highlight the recreation zone, playground, outbuildings, vegetable garden;
- an important advantage – you can close the green fence from the neighbors and make your life more comfortable.
Preparing the garden for vertical gardening
Zoning a garden with vertical gardening is best done in autumn. At this time, the trees shed their leaves, and the space is better viewed. You can competently distribute the growth zones of plants, to structure the space.
Study your plot, take measurements and think about which sides you would like to zone, where you would like a hedge or an arch, where there is not enough “volume”. Then think about what supports you should mount and what kind of plants you want to plant. Fall is the best time to plant many climbing plants.
It’s up to you to decide what you want to do with your vertical gardening in Ontario. You can implement almost any idea, depending on the area and location of your garden. The main thing is not only to show imagination, but also to think in advance how the plantings will look like.
Basic structures for vertical gardening
A fence or a specially installed screen is needed for this. Curly plants can be planted, such as vines, wild grapes, ivy and so on. A hedge is the best way to clearly zone a property. It will create a nice shade – it can be a good place to rest. It also keeps out dust, wind and – importantly – interested eyes of your neighbors.
Perhaps the most popular and popular way of vertical decoration. It is used most often to organize the transition from one area of the garden to another. Such a flowery corridor will decorate any area and make it bright and unusual.
An important point – the arch must lead somewhere. You should not put these structures next to paths or on the lawn. Especially successful look arches leading to the lake, artificial pond or fountain. If you can not organize a body of water, put a statue with an exotic plant or other landscape object.
Tip. If you plan to decorate the arch with climbing plants, cover it with a thin grid or netting. This will make it easier for the plants to grow upward.
These designs will allow you to create graceful hanging gardens. For decoration, choose sturdy containers that will be attached to the surface to be decorated. Special brackets are used to attach them to the wall. But especially successful look suspended on chains and ropes. For such structures it is worth choosing plants that are resistant to drought and wind.
This method of decorating creates a unique atmosphere. Typically, a pergola consists of four supporting posts and an open lattice on top. They can be erected near the house or serve as a cover over a path.
Pergolas allow you to combine elements of the garden, shade a small area, decorate not very attractive buildings and simply serve as an original decoration of the garden. The design is made of wood most often, which is particularly successful with the natural landscape.
The original technique in vertical gardening. This construction consists of a strong lattice and internal thin slats. It can be wooden, metal or plastic. Can be installed as an independent object or fixed on pergolas, walls of buildings. Espaliers set accents in the territory, as well as create shady areas.
An ideal solution for small garden plots. Especially bright look flowerbeds consisting of several tiers of containers with plants. This is not only an original landscape object, but also a great opportunity to grow flowers, plants, herbs, etc.
Sometimes gardeners even grow berries in this way, such as strawberries. And take care of it easier – no need to bend over for the collection and watering. In addition, the berries in this way of growing does not rot.
A vertical garden on the wall
A creative way to transform the garden. Will add lushness, will allow you to hide unaesthetic structures. Such a “green decoration” will make any building, even a household outbuilding, and will give a floral mood to the whole garden.
What plants are suitable for vertical gardening in Toronto?
They can be divided into 3 groups:
- Lianas. Very beautiful climbing plants that braid trees and look beautiful in combination with pergolas, arches, pergolas. To grow them you need sturdy supports.
- Plants, for the growth of which it is required to put up a small support or pull a wire, rope. They are also suitable for landscaping small fences and fences.
- plants that do not need supports, such as ivy. They can grow in a large space.
When selecting specific varieties of plants, we recommend that you consider:
1) Perennial climbing plants.
- Grapes will allow you to create a beautiful dome. It will be suitable for arches. Grapes, whose leaves turn an incredible crimson color in the fall, grow well, so it can be attached to any surface.
- A powerful liana that rises to a height of more than 10 m.
- Ivy. Great to wiggle, can create dense green walls.
- Hop. Unpretentious fragrant plant, which grows perfectly (it is even worth limiting its growth area).
- Lemongrass. Beautiful and useful plant. The berries are full of vitamins and have a tonic effect.
- Clematis. Grows quickly, looks exquisite. Great for decorating pergolas and arches.
2) Annual vines. You can plant them in portable boxes and cachepots every year, mount them in different places, changing the look of the garden. Also look great on terraces, balconies, in arbors. Among such plants, you can choose from the ipomea, cobeya, nasturtium.
Vertical gardening in Ontario is versatile and aesthetically pleasing. Thanks to this landscape design, you can decorate the garden, make it bright, lush and modern. You can realize all your most daring creative fantasies! In addition, you can even change the appearance of your garden every year, each time enjoying its beauty and originality.