The hardwood flooring is an environmentally friendly and safe coating that maintains a comfortable indoor climate. Unlike synthetic materials, natural wood exudes a pleasant forest aroma and does not release toxic substances. The wood is distinguished by its durability and aesthetic appearance. It is pleasant to the touch and has a beneficial effect on human well-being.
Advantages of hardwood flooring:
- Promotes oxygen renewal and maintains a comfortable atmosphere in the house;
- Durable and reliable coating;
- Long service life;
- Safe and environmentally friendly. The material does not emit any hazardous substances and does not cause allergies. Wood, on the contrary, has a positive effect on human condition and mood;
- Good heat and noise insulation;
- Wear resistance and maintainability. If necessary, you can easily replace damaged parts of the floor by yourself.
Experts recommend choosing only wood for finishing of log houses and cottages in order not to disturb the aesthetics and ecology of the room. Solid or standard trimming boards, parquet and laminate, cork coverings are chosen as hardwood flooring for log houses. By the way, the latter option will also serve as an excellent insulation.
Despite its positive properties, wood needs to be protected and treated. Natural raw materials are subject to the negative impact of moisture and insects. Without special means, the coating will gradually crack and rot. Protective compounds will protect the living material from such problems. They will not only extend the service life, but also improve the appearance of the floor.
Today there are a lot of different products, including lacquers, paints and wax. Wax is very rarely used today. It contains beeswax, linseed oil and other additives in small quantities. This composition is resistant to moisture, but it does not provide effective protection against mechanical damage, such as blows from heels, traces of furniture and so on. Therefore, we will take a closer look at the paints and learn how to properly treat the hardwood floor.
Varnish. Hardwood flooring in Ontario.
Varnish is an effective remedy that will protect the coating from mould, fungus and insects. It perfectly preserves the structure and emphasizes the original appearance of wood. Varnishes can be transparent (glazing) and opaque (covering). The transparent coating will preserve the natural wood color, but will last only 3-5 years. The opaque composition can be updated once in 6-7 years, and it will achieve the desired shade or shine of the hardwood floor.
In addition, the following varnish types are distinguished:
- Water-soluble – the most environmentally friendly and safe composition, which dries quickly and adheres to the floor surface. But this lacquer can be applied only with special rollers, and the coating will have to be renewed at least once every three years;
- Alkyd type is characterized by resistance, durability and high degree of wood protection. But be prepared that dries such a varnish for two or three days;
- Polyurethane material is characterized by wear resistance, so it is suitable for rooms with high mechanical load. Such a varnish is used for floor treatment in the hallway, living room and even in cafes;
- Formaldehyde lacquer guarantees a durable and reliable coating, which is resistant to different temperatures. But during painting it emits hazardous chemicals, so it is important to work only with a respirator;
- Oily products are more susceptible to adverse effects of rainfall and moisture, so such varnishes should not be used to treat the floor in the pergola or on the terrace. However, they are suitable for the interior decoration of a wooden house. Oily varnishes are often used to renew the old flooring. They enliven the wood and make the surface shiny;
- Acrylic lacquer forms a transparent shade with no yellowness. It is a safe, odorless and long-lasting product. They are resistant to moisture and offer a wide range of gloss. It is desirable to use such products for rooms with low passability, such as bedrooms, children’s rooms, etc..
Regardless of the type of varnish, it is important to study the instructions before use and consult with a specialist if necessary. It is important to understand whether this or that product is suitable for your type of room, type of wood and type of flooring. It is important to know how to apply the lacquer and whether you need protective equipment when working with the material. Compliance with the rules of choice and coloring will help to achieve the desired result.
Paints. Hardwood Flooring in Toronto.
If you want to give a certain color or shade to the wood, select the colors. They also protect the wood against moisture and rotting, harmful bacteria and insects.
Today, manufacturers offer the following types of paint:
- Vinyl paints are used for both external and internal wood processing. They are resistant to moisture, have a wide range of colors and inexpensive cost. However, such means are not popular among the owners of wooden houses, because when evaporated, they emit toxic substances harmful to health. In addition, the vinyl composition quite quickly fades and cracked;
- Oily products are characterized by rich colors and homogeneous structure, resistance to temperature changes and low price. Such paint will create a bright and fashionable image of the hardwood flooring. However, this coating dries for 24 hours. In addition, after 2-3 years will have to paint the floor again;
- Polyurethane paints, as well as similar varnishes are characterized by wear resistance and long service life. Such materials effectively protect the wood, but at the same time they are toxic and expensive;
- Alkyd formulations during coloring spread an unpleasant smell that will last for several days and after drying. Among the advantages of such paint are its resistance to moisture and precipitation, temperature changes and other negative factors;
- Water-based acrylic paints are now in great demand due to their resistance to high humidity, frost and ultraviolet. They have a long life, which is up to 10 years! Manufacturers offer a wide range of colors, which includes two thousand different shades. This is a safe and environmentally friendly composition, which does not burn out. Therefore, acrylic materials are effectively used for painting facades.
Paint for wood flooring, first of all, is chosen according to the degree of environmental friendliness. Therefore, the optimal remedy will be alkyd compositions on a water base. They will provide wood protection and give the floor a noble look. Moreover, due to its stability and durability, you will not have to paint the coating more than once in 8-10 years!
How to Properly Paint Hardwood Flooring
The rational option is to paint the hardwood floor first with paint and then with varnish. Coating with one lacquer will not provide adequate protection for wood from mechanical damage. But the lacquer will fix the coating with paint more qualitatively than the finish, will give the necessary shine and look of new fresh floor.
Before you paint the floor, you should prepare the surface. Clean the wood from dust and dirt. If the floor has been painted before, remove the old flooring with a trowel or sandpaper. Then the surface is sanded, cracks and gaps are removed with a putty. The new hardwood flooring can be treated with olive or primer before painting to enhance its protective properties and reduce paint costs.
The paint can only be applied to a completely dry surface! Paint the floor with the help of a roller, spray gun, for inaccessible places use a brush. Please note that the spray gun and the sprayer do not always make it possible to achieve an even layer. In addition, it may leave unpainted areas.
Paint begins with corners, skirting boards and other hard-to-reach places. When painting, regularly stir the paint composition and do not forget about ventilation. Paint is applied in two coats parallel to the direction of the boards. The second coat is applied only after the previous one is completely dry!
When the paint dries, the floor can be covered with two or three coats of varnish. Do not forget that you can only apply each new layer when the previous one dries! Apply the lacquer materials in smooth strokes to avoid bumps and irregularities.
The masters of “Captain Handy” company will help you to choose the appropriate means and answer any question! They will paint inside and outside the house, provide a full range of services for the construction and finishing of buildings from log.